Amy Winehouse drank herself to death. That was the ruling of a coroner‘s inquest into the death from the Grammy-winning soul singer, who discovered in bed at her London home on July 23 died with empty vodka bottles in her space and lethal quantities of alcohol in her blood – far more than 5 times the British drunk driving limit.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying Wednesday the singer suffered accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking soon after weeks of abstinence.
The 27-year-old Winehouse had fought an incredibly public battle with drug and alcohol abuse for many years, and there had been significantly speculation that she died from a drug overdose.
Winehouse gave up illicit drugs in 2008, but had swerved amongst heavy alcohol use and abstinence for a lengthy time. Winehouse joins a extended list of celebrities who died soon after fighting alcohol troubles, like jazz fantastic Billie Holiday, AC/DC lead singer Bon Scott, film legend Richard Burton, writers Dylan Thomas and Jack Kerouac, and country music pioneer Hank Williams.
Watch Amy Winehouse’s Coroner Report:
What is Alcohol Poisoning ?
According to MayoClinic, Alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death.
Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms
Alcohol poisoning symptoms include:
- Confusion, stupor
- Slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
- Irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths)
- Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Unconsciousness (“passing out”), and can’t be roused
Amy Winehouse was discovered dead in her London flat on Saturday. Police have not recognized the cause of her death, but Winehouse publically battled with drugs and alcohol, and police studies reveal she fought her ultimate battle.
The 27-year-old troubled singer allegedly bought drugs from the supplier in Camden just right after 10:30 p.m. on Friday, reported the Daily Mail. Winehouse was witnessed acquiring cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, ketamine, and perhaps heroin, said a source with the People.
Numerous media shops claim that she was drinking heavily in her last hrs, leading to a lethal concoction of drugs and alcohol.
What is Ketamine?
According to DrugFree.Org, Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic developed in 1963 to replace PCP and currently used in human anesthesia and veterinary medicine. Much of the ketamine sold on the street has been diverted from veterinarians’ offices. Ketamine’s chemical structure and mechanism of action are similar to those of PCP.